What’s the hardest thing to keep? The house clean? Your pets happy? Your stomach full? Nope, nope, and nope. I’ll tell you what’s the hardest thing to keep – New Year’s Resolutions. Yes, I do understand this might not be true for everyone, it is for me… and others like me know how hard it is to keep these.
My first advice is to make a resolution that’s reachable for you.
An old resolution of mine was to be lose 40 pounds by summer, which is doable for most people. For someone who puts up a fight when their trainer calls them to the gym, THAT’S HARD. To this day I have not lost that weight.
Another one was to start cooking more and eating healthy. Which this is another doable resolution and my mom is a chef and has always tried to teach me to cook, so you would think I could cook by now, Right? NOPE, I’m terrified of the kitchen. When looking for a boyfriend, it would be a deal breaker if he couldn’t cook. And Y’all I love taco bell W A Y too much to give it up. Those spicy potato tacos are WHERE ITS AT! (don’t knock them until you try them!)
Here’s a small list of reachable resolutions.
- Drink more water
- Move more, it doesn’t have to be exercising… just move
- Explore and travel more – you don’t have to spend a lot of money on this, simply explore new things in your town you haven't tried before
- Wake up earlier (I need this one) – teach yourself to not hit the snooze 15 times
- Turn on music instead of the TV, its less distracting
- Floss your teeth – you don’t know how important this is until you’re at the dentist 3 times in 1 month getting your teeth back to normal because of bleeding gums… No one wants that)
- Set some time out of your day for you time
- Keep your email box clean – unsubscribe to all that junk email- I did this last year and even though its back to being a mess It was glorious not having to delete 176 emails a day
- Organize your life – pictures on your computer, apps on your phone, junk in the closets
Now that you’ve picked a New Year’s Resolution, it’s time to keep it.
Here are 4 simple way to keep your resolution in check
Keep yourself accountable
I know it can be embarrassing to announce your resolution to the world - some can be very specific and personal. But I know how I am when I have to admit failure and its just as embarrassing if not more. Also its not a bad thing to have help from your friends and family, they are your cheerleaders for life!
Check in on yourself by setting mini goals along the way
This is another good way of checking in on yourself. when I graduated college I didn't have the ambition to do anything, but when I started putting due dates on the calendar for myself and the amount of stuff I got done was AWESOME.
Have fun while you’re at it
This is a big one for me. If you cant have fun, then whats the point?!
This resolution should be something that YOU want, not what others are doing
Make sure your resolution is important to you and that there is value in achieving it. If the resolution you chose gives you little excitement or value then there is a slim chance of keeping it.
This Year, my resolution was to do something with me life. Something meaning anything. I decided to not make excuses and finally launch my blog. It’s taken a while, but I did it!